|Board of Education|
Becoming a Board Member
To become a member of a local Board of Education in New Jersey, you must meet the following legal requirements:
- Be able to read and write;
- Hold citizenship and one year's residency in the school district;
- Have no interest in any contract with, or claim against the Board;
- Not hold office as mayor or member of the municipal governing body; and
- Be registered to vote in the district and not be disqualified as a voter under N.J.S.A. 19:4-1
Any community member that qualifies with the above legal requirements and would like to become a member of the Shrewsbury Board of Education, should obtain a Candidacy Kit.
Petitions for school board candidates for the November election are available for pick up at the County Clerk’s Election office, 300 Halls Mill Road, Freehold, NJ 07728, by mail by calling 732-431-7790, or online at www.njsba.org.
For more information on Board Member election and appointments, please refer to the Shrewsbury Board of Education Policy #0143. Additional information on the Role of Board Member can be found on the New Jersey School Boards Association website.